|[Krepšinis] Basketball in hoopsmad Lithuania|
My original basketball post is constantly being updated, so kindly check back
- Baloncesto: I love this game - Basketball in Europe
Here are my basketball stories up until today, Day 215.
- Played full court pickup games at Olympiapark in München
- Hung with kids playing streetball in San Lorenzo, Roma
- Shot hoops for hours with a local in Barcelona
- 2 on 2 with locals and attended a 3 on 3 tournament by the beach in Porto, Portugal
- Caught a regional bus to play ball with Amsterdam Noord locals in the pouring rain. Hookup courtesy of a Dutch guy I befriended after asking about his "STAT NY" shirt. This HipHop bar became my regular Amsterdam hang with a Dutch BBall crew
- Shot around with a Greek Jake Shuttlesworth. I found a court whilst biking from Rotterdam to Scheveningen (near Den Haag). Incorporating his knowledge of basketball and musicmaking, he imparted some great life advice. We talked about life, family, passion and dreams.
- Memorable first day in Brighton, England. After spending a good deal of the night hanging with street performers. I longboarded and had a competitive game of 2-on-2 with a [painfully] charming lesbian trio at 2 in the morning.
- Befriended the manager of the English Basketball team on my flight to Lithuania from London and learnt a lot about the game in the UK. We hung out in Vilnius, traveled to Panevėžys where we shared a tent until my snoring inevitably separated us
- Played some solid 3 on 3 pick up games at Vilnius, Lithuania. It was by the site of the EuroBasket 2011 Opening night party which I attended the evening previous.
|Ballin' in Brighton, England |
photo: Todd Geasland
Just as in my other love of comedy, Basketball can teach many lessons about life. I think this quote by the GOAT Michael Jordan best sums where I'm at now - "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying".
By the way, I'm tipping France and Lithuania in a close Finals game.
>> Check out my Basketball & Travel blog - 30HomeGames.blogspot.com