Dec 13, 2011

Road Music: Songs to be happy to (Sports songs)

<< crossposted on the '30HomeGames' blog

The 30HomeGames project is a mission that has me seeking Basketball around the world. In reality it's been a great pretext that's connected me to places and people I might otherwise not have.

Throughout the year I've befriended amazing people by connecting through sport. From parkour in München, participating in classes at Köln's esteemed Sports College to playing with Bremen's Ultimate Frisbee team. Not to mention the amazing Basketball experiences across Europe.

Fun Fact: More often than not these sports experiences have involved Germans in some way. *Shrugs*

The following songs form the soundtrack for the Sport experiences I've had recently. 'Lovely Day' was part of the Mix CD my German friend and events organiser had playing for some Volleyball socials in London. Additionally one of my skater housemates in Köln had a soulful music palette thus Bill Withers was on high rotation.

VIDEO: 'Lovely Day' by Bill Withers


I befriended students of the German Sport University in Cologne through Couchsurfing. After visiting the college to play Basketball in their Gym, I made a fast friend in the Mensa (cafeteria) and was invited to crash at their place to extend my time in the City.

Daniel was an enterprising Kite Surfer I met through this network, known for organising FlashMobs, and outings for his fellow Freshmen SpoHo peers. He compiled videos of these happenings as viral packages to promote his 'Crazy for Kite' adventure workshops. I had the pleasure of joining the kids as they spent a 'lovely day' in the 'Aqualand' of Köln.

Both the energetic songs featured in the clip have become "happy triggers" anytime I've heard them since.

VIDEO: Aqualand 10.12.2011
'Banquet' by Bloc Party
'Promiscuity' by Manu Chao


- Find the entire 'Road Music' Track listings here

No comments:

Post a Comment