Nov 24, 2011

Road Music: Songs to be happy to (Christmas songs)

hyde park, bavaria, christmas, winter wonderland
hyde park, christmas, ice rink, ice skating, winter wonderland
In my most recent Road Music post I mentioned how Wrestling Entrances were inherently "Songs to be happy to". I see your 'Wrestling Themes' and I raise you - Christmas Songs! I can't think of any other genre of music that inspires as much nostalgia and joy in me as the songs that begin to circulate around this time of year.

On the cusp of my return to Germany, I spent my final day in London at the iconic 'Winter Wonderland' at Hyde Park. Many of the rides were German-made and there was a Bavarian section with mulled wine and bier. The winning combination of traditional Christmas songs, the German Winter aesthetic and carnival atmosphere had me grinning from ear to ear. Seeing kids playing American Football by the Ferris Wheel, (in the cold) was an added bonus.

Without further adieu, the songs...

VIDEO: 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues

Pleasantly, this song is on high rotation around these parts (its by a Celtic band). I never heard it much in Australia but for as long as I've known it, I've considered this my favorite Christmas song.
Truth be told, I first heard this as a Punk rock cover by 'No Use for a Name'.

VIDEO: 'I'll Be Home For Christmas' by Bing Crosby

This will be an interesting and emotional christmas as it will be the first time I won't be spending it with my familia, let alone being separated by an ocean. That said, I always carry my family and those I love with me.
As the song goes "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams".

- Visit the 'Winter Wonderland' Facebook page
- Find the entire 'Road Music' Track listings here

No comments:

Post a Comment